Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Easy No Egg, No Milk Cookies!


Today I've just been lounging around my grandparents' house reading, studying, cuddling with their dog Jackie and hanging out with my grandma.  

My grandma's the one that got me started on tea once upon a time.  She'd brew hot black tea for me when I was little.  With a pinch of sugar.  And eventually I discovered how amazing a dab of milk could be, too.  Today I brewed a bit of Addis for the two of us, but then realized that we had nothing to munch on!  And sadly, I found the  fridge to be fresh outta eggs and very low on milk.  (I'd need that milk for tea, after all!)  I didn't really feel like hitting up the grocery store.  All I wanted was some cookies, made with minimal ingredients and minimal effort. 

Luckily, a recipe came to mind.  A recipe I'd made one chilly midnight when I developed a serious cookie craving but was out of eggs, milk, butter milk, sour cream... etc.  I did happen to have the the ingredients for a nifty no egg, no milk biscuit.  The simple recipe hit the spot that night, and so I figured I'd give it another go this afternoon for me and my gram's tea.

What You'll Need:

1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons oil
1/3 cup water

What You'll Do:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Mix all ingredients together. Knead on floured board for half a minute. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with round cookie-cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12(ish) minutes.  (Makes 8-12 biscuits.)  When you pull the biscuits out of the oven, slice them in half and add a dab of butter to each.  Jam tastes scrumptious on them, too.





They turned out so tasty and a perfect little compliment to our hot tea. I'm pretty sure that this won't be the last time I'll be making these bad boys ;)

You can find the original recipe at Cooks.com.  (I basically cut it in half since I didn't want to make too many.) 

Happy munching :)

No comments:

Post a Comment